Saturday 17 August 2013

Actually starting to look forward to this...


It may sound a little contradictory but I am now actually starting to look forward to this.  Two things made me realise this.

1)      I went to my local Sainsbury’s yesterday and was quite reassured.  Their FreeFrom section is huge with a good range of everything.  Although it isn’t that straightforward – more below – it’s a good start.  And they stock the lactose free yoghurt that isn’t soya.  Double yey!  And a bran flakes equivalent.

2)      I went out for dinner last night.  Now my IBS-D has always been a little stress related, always.  And Thursday was A Level results day. So my stress levels were through the roof.  For long and complicated reasons I was not expecting things to go well at all.  And by some miracle they were more than fine; they were great.  All that tension had to go somewhere and, as ever, it went to my stomach.  I had 3 RFTL incidents in the space of an hour.  In a restaurant and in a bar after.  Oh dear.  Cringe. 

So, actually, although this diet thing will be complicated, if it puts a stop to last night’s kind of activities then I have to say it will be a relief.  I’m sure I’m not the only one to have suffered the embarrassment of IBS-D in public places and it will be nice to not have to worry about it anymore.

I am starting to realise that, when it comes to the food front, I am going to have to make everything from scratch.  I was looking at the FreeFrom savoury crackers thinking “awesome!  I can have these with permitted cheese for lunch”.  No such luck – they contain onion.  This is going to take a whole lot more planning than I thought and choosing to do this in the first half term of the school year might prove to be a mistake in the long run.  So will be spending the first week (which is the last week of my holidays) making up permissible meals so I can freeze them to microwave.  It will at least take the thinking out of things;  especially since I will be in the school theatre every night.

Still, at least there’s poached eggs on gluten free toast.  I might end up living on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment